Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Can you connect to the narrator's feelings and experiences in the poem ''The Road Not Taken'' by Robert Frost?

I'll answer this question with a personal example, as I can't speak for your unique, individual experience. However, hopefully my own response will give you some guidance and/or inspiration to respond to the question yourself. 


In general, I take Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" to be a depiction of the process of making important decisions, and the inability to do everything that one wants to do. Indeed, at the end, the speaker notes that the path he's chosen in life "has made all the difference" (20), and the statement has a ring of melancholy to it, as if he wonders what might have been had he made other choices. I can certainly connect to such an idea; once one becomes an adult, it's impossible to avoid thinking about the different jobs one could have taken, or the different places one could have visited. I know exactly how the speaker feels, as I often wish I could experience everything at once and were not forced to make decisions.


Your own connection to the poem depends on your personal interpretation of it and your unique experiences. I'd encourage you to read the poem carefully and think of personal experiences you've had that you can connect to Frost's poetry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

find square roots of -1+2i

We have to find the square root of `-1+2i` i.e. `\sqrt{-1+2i}` We will find the square roots of the complex number of the form x+yi , where ...